What a Crazy World

Two things, real quick.

1) Sometimes, a 'yes or no' question actually only has one possible answer. It is the lack of answer that an answer is inferred from. For instance "Are you sleeping?" can only have one possible answer of "No." The absence of an answer leads the inquisitor to the only other option of "Yes" even though no answer is given. "Can you hear me?" is another such question, the only possible answer being "Yes." One would think that language would have come up with some sort of way to rephrase or redirect such types of questions.

2) On my walk from my cubical to the café and back, I passed through 8 doors (only 4 doors, but passed through each twice). Of those 8 passes, 4 of them (2 doors) did not have windows in them, such that I could not see on the other side. At each of these 4 windowless passes, I had the pleasure of attempting to open the door and the exact time someone on the other side was attempting the same thing. This resulted in each of us being caught a bit off guard at the ease of the door opening, as well as flustered at the prospect of another human being in our door-space. The likelihood of this happening at each possible locale seems to me to be quite minute. I should by a lotto ticket.

0 comments: