Sirens are just part of the city

People change. It's a simple fact that no one can deny. It's not necessarily a change for the better or worse, but simply an evolution of character.

In a romantic relationship, the couple changes and grows together. But in a long distance relationship, the guidance that ushers growth in the same path is much more difficult to come by.

It's not the I stopped loving her, or her me. Chances are, that will never truly happen. But the admission by both parties that something just wasn't there anymore was enough.

I've spent the last 4 years of my life completely integrating her into every aspect of my life, and despite the fact that the only direct change is a missing phone call each night, I'm going to desperately miss sharing my day with her.

When a relationship ends on good terms, because of nobody's 'fault', you can't help but be overly optimistic. But god dammit, if I know one thing, it's that life without her wouldn't be half as enriching or fulfilling. She's my best friend. She was before, and she will be still. Things will have to change, but there's no way to cut her out of my life and still feel like that life is my own.

That's all.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that these aren't the right words, but I'm sorry to hear this, Bry. I know I shouldn't be "sorry," but it seems like the only appropriate words I can muster on a Sunday morning.

I think the thoughts you express here are really valuable ones that can be applied all over the place...to regular friendships as well. I can't help but feel that many of my friendships over the course of my life have been watered down (or evaporated completely) in the past years because of distance (physically and mentally). My life is less vivid because of this distance and how it has affected these relationships, I admit whole-heartedly. But people change naturally, subtly, and in irreversible ways without realizing it.

I guess it's good, then, that you both are able to identify it and accept (appreciate?) it. When it's the other way around, when it's not identified and accepted, it hurts both parties.

And, by the way, I'm glad that, despite the distance, despite our natural, subtle, and irreversible changes, I'm really glad we can maintain a friendship of sorts.